top of page

Can International Students Work in the US After Graduating?

The United States has long been a popular destination for international students seeking high-quality education and diverse career opportunities. One of the key questions that often arises in the minds of these students is whether they can work in the country after completing their studies. In this blog post, we will explore the various options available for international students to work in the US after graduating.

Working People

  • Optional Practical Training (OPT): The Optional Practical Training program allows international students on F-1 visas to work in the US for up to 12 months after completing their academic program. Students in certain STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics) fields may be eligible for a 24-month extension. OPT provides an excellent opportunity for graduates to gain practical work experience related to their field of study.

  • Curricular Practical Training (CPT): Curricular Practical Training is another employment option available to F-1 visa students. CPT allows students to work off-campus or participate in internships during their academic program. This type of training must be an integral part of the curriculum and must contribute towards the student's academic objectives.

  • H-1B Visa: The H-1B visa is an employment-based visa that allows US employers to hire foreign workers in specialized occupations. International students who have completed their studies and secured a job offer from a US employer can apply for an H-1B visa. The number of H-1B visas issued each year is limited, and there is usually high competition for these visas.

  • Optional Practical Training Extension for STEM Graduates: As mentioned earlier, students in certain STEM fields can apply for a 24-month extension to their OPT period. This extension allows STEM graduates to work in the US for a longer duration, providing them with more time to gain valuable work experience and explore career opportunities.

  • Other Visa Options: Apart from the H-1B visa, there are several other visa categories that international students can explore based on their qualifications and circumstances. These include the O-1 visa for individuals with extraordinary abilities, the TN visa for citizens of Canada and Mexico, and the E-2 visa for investors, among others. Each visa category has its own requirements and limitations, so it's important to consult with an immigration attorney to determine the best option.

In conclusion, international students studying in the United States have several avenues for working in the country after graduation. From the Optional Practical Training program to various employment-based visas, there are opportunities to gain valuable work experience and potentially build a long-term career in the US. However, it is essential to stay updated on immigration regulations and consult with professionals to understand the specific requirements and processes associated with each option. Working in the US as a student graduate is an exciting prospect that can open doors to a world of opportunities.

51 views0 comments
bottom of page